- PhD, University of Alabama, 2011
Dr. Ostrovskiy studies properties of neutrinos and searches for physics beyond the Standard Model. He participates in the EXO-200/nEXO experiments that aim to detect the neutrinoless double beta decay. This decay is forbidden in the Standard Model due to violation of the lepton number conservation. If observed, it would provide information about the neutrino mass scale and prove that neutrinos are their own anti-particles.
Dr. Ostrovskiy is also involved in the search for the magnetic monopoles. These hypothetical particles were suggested to exist by Dirac to explain quantization of the electric charge. Magnetic monopoles are also predicted in many variants of the Grand Unification Theory (GUT) and in Supersymmetric (SUSY) models. He participates in the MoEDAL experiment – a dedicated magnetic monopole search at the Large Hadron Collider, CERN, Switzerland. Dr. Ostrovskiy is also developing a magnetic monopole detector to be deployed in the Low Earth Orbit using CubeSats.
Dr. Ostrovskiy received his PhD from the University of Alabama in 2011. He was a postdoctoral researcher at Stanford from 2012 to 2016. He joined the faculty of the University of Alabama in 2016.
Tues/Thurs: 3-4 p.m.
- I. Ostrovskiy and K. O’Sullivan. Search for neutrinoless double beta decay. Brief review. Modern
Physics Letters A, vol. 31, no. 18, 2016
- I. Ostrovskiy, F. Retiere, D. Auty, J. Dalmasson, T. Didberidze, R. DeVoe, G. Gratta, L. Huth, L.
James, L. Lupin-Jimenez, N. Ohmert, and A. Piepke. Characterization of Silicon Photomultipliers for
nEXO. Nuclear Science, IEEE Transactions on , vol.62, no.4, pp.1825-1836, Aug. 2015
- I.Ostrovskiy, J.Pinfold. Solid state breakdown counter for magnetic monopole and other highly ionizing particles searches. http://arxiv.org/abs/1410.5521
- Double Chooz collaboration. Indication for the disappearance of reactor electron antineutrinos in the Double Chooz experiment. Phys.Rev. Lett. 108 (2012) 131801
- EXO-200 collaboration. Search for Majoron-emitting modes of double-beta decay of Xe-136 with EXO-
200. Phys.Rev. D 90 (2014) 092004
- EXO-200 collaboration. Search for Neutrinoless Double-Beta decay in Xe-136 with EXO-200. Phys.Rev.
Lett. 109 (2012) 032505
- EXO-200 collaboration. Search for Majorana neutrinos with the first two years of EXO-200 data.
Nature 510 (2014) 229
- EXO-200 collaboration. An improved measurement of the two neutrino double-beta half-life of Xe-136
with EXO-200. Phys.Rev. C 89 (2014) 015502
- EXO-200 collaboration. First search for Lorentz and CPT violation in double beta decay with EXO-200.
Phys. Rev. D 93 (2016) 072001
- EXO-200 collaboration. Investigation of radioactivity-induced backgrounds in EXO-200. Phys. Rev. C
92 (2015) 015503